January 31, 2016

Boodle Fighting: Family Reunion in Pampanga (2016)

by: Sandra Kahn


 Whenever there would be a family reunion, I would honestly dread it. There would always be the same awkward greetings, and the same old questions. "Where do you want to go for college?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" And I was tired of answering these questions.

But this reunion wasn't like the any other reunion. We had to drive 2-3 hours to reach my aunt's fishing lake. I got to meet my cousins from my grandmother's side and we all went fishing.


After staying under the sun for quite some time, it was finally time to eat. As I sat down at the table, I noticed something odd. There were no utensils and plates served. Everything was placed on a big banana leaf.

My mom saw my confusion and explained it to me. "This is called boodle fighting, and the rule is the whole table is your plate and you can only use your hands"


I never heard of this before, I was a bit nervous to try it. But seeing my family members doing this, I was eager and began eating. My aunt served oysters, grilled pork chop and so much more. Everyone was trying to get a piece of each viand. This was a fun experience and I enjoyed eating in an unusual way, its not everyday that I would "fight" for my food.


To learn more about boodle fights, check this blog out too! http://megasardines.com/blog/pinoy-101-the-boodle-fight-tradition/

No comments:

Post a Comment