January 28, 2016

Top 5 Authentic Japanese Foods

By Sachiko Sasaki




Konnichiwa minna or hello to everyone. After the Christmas break, my Mom told me that we are going to Japan for our summer vacation then I thought of posting some interesting information regarding to Japan's mouthwatering dishes which is uncommon to other countries dishes in the world. I really want something to share to you about Japan, specifically Japanese foods. Basically I will be talking about my top 5 most favorite foods in Japan that I want you guys to try. I posted the links of the dishes that shows the simple ingredients and teaches the procedures as well so that you guys could give yourself a try then let me know about your opinion and thoughts concerning the listed foods that I will be sharing with you guys in the comments below.

First things first, Before we get started I want you guys to know that Japan has one of the most famous cuisines in the world. The way they prepare their specialties food are different from a regular cooking. There are no doubts that they are really fantastic and creative in making their own dishes. If you go in a Japanese street food or a Japanese restaurant, you will be amazed on how they cook and serve their specialties not only because of how their dishes tastes and looks like but it is also because that these Japanese people are devoted with their wonderful and humble culture. They apply the beauty of their culture in their way of cooking and designing their dishes that is why the dishes there in Japan are surprisingly unique.
Retrieved from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/japanese-restaurant-bans-couples-on-christmas-eve-to-stop-single-customers-feeling-lonely-9921081.html




OKAY. LETS START!


1. Sukiyaki (すきやき)
Retrieved from: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/27/food/la-fo-hotpotsrec27c-2010jan27

- Sukiyaki is a popular Japanese hot pot dish which is often cooked and served at the table. Sukiyaki certainly reminds me of Shabu Shabu (しゃぶしゃぶ) as well because they almost look alike but it also has difference, Sukiyaki is richer and sweeter when it comes to flavor while the Shabu shabu is more on savory than sweet compare to Sukiyaki. The reason why I love this dish because of my Dad's way of cooking and preparing it, he visits here in the Philippines once a year and usually on the month of May. He goes here so that he could celebrate my birthday with my Mom and I. I started loving this dish when my Dad served this on us for the first time. I could say that was actually my love at first taste. My dad is a great businessman and I am really impressed to him because knowing the fact that he is a fantastic cook as well.



2. Yakisoba (やきそば)
Retrieved from: http://www.timetravelturtle.com/2013/04/yakisoba-japanese-food/

- Yakisoba is well known as one of their street foods in Japan. Yakisoba is a Japanese dish of fried noodles, vegetables, meat and served with some sweet sauce. Yaki means "cooked, grilled or fried" while soba is a thin type of noodle, therefore it is also called Japanese fried noodles in English. Yakisoba is a great quick and light meal that you guys should eat if you don't want to eat heavy dishes..



3. Katsudon (かつどん)
Retrieved from: https://pinkpensandhighheels.wordpress.com/tag/katsudon/

- Katsudon is also one of my favorite Japanese food because it has egg and vegetables on it. I'm a type of girl that really loves to eat any type of vegetables because of my dad who also really loves to eat vegetables. Our breakfast, lunch and dinner would not be the same without any vegetable dish on our table, like literally. Tonkatsu and Katsudon are somewhat similar because of the breaded fried pork cutlet. However, the Tonkatsu is served with sweet sauce while the Katsudon is served with vegetable stir-fry and a small amount of omelette on top of the Katsudon. A brief definition of this in English is Pork in a bowl because Katsu means pork while Don is a short word for Donburi which means "bowl".



4. Onigiri (おにぎり)
Retrieved from: http://jpninfo.com/27798


- I am sure you guys are familiar with Sushi. In my opinion, my fourth favorite Japanese food is more likely similar to Sushi but I am not that fan of eating Sushi. Like sushi, the Onigiri is a rice that can be shaped like a triangle or circle and it is stuffed with some freshly cooked tuna inside the rice then it is wrapped with seaweed as well. However, the Onigiri is a lot more bigger compare to a piece of sushi. I would want to thank the person who invented Onigiri because it is very creative and very handy that you can just eat it without using any utensils. Onigiri is a good way to bring and eat when you guys are in a hurry.



5. Miso Soup (みそしる)
Retrieved from: http://afcsoyfoods.com/recipe/miso-soup/

- Miso soup or Misoshiru is a traditional Japanese soup consisting of dashi and miso paste. From what I have observed, when we ate in one of the Japanese restaurant, the miso soup in a bowl is always served with some steamed rice. It is actually basic to make miso soup because all in all the ingredients are easy to find while the preparing time is 5 mins and the cooking is time is just 5 mins as well, so all in all it is just 10 mins in order for you to have it. Time saver isn't?



THAT IS ALL FOR NOW GUYS. HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED IT AND I ALSO HOPE THAT YOU GUYS WOULD TRY IT AS WELL. I SUGGEST ALL OF YOU TO TRY IT AND YOU WILL ALSO LOVE IT, I SWEAR. DOMO ARIGATO GOZAIMASU!



No comments:

Post a Comment